} -->

Sunday 20 November 2011

Intentions of the Earl - Rose Gordon



Will he secure his future by ruining hers, or will she ruin his plans by securing him? A new twist on the old fortune hunter plot puts an impoverished earl in a position to gain his fortune only by ruining an innocent's reputation without offering marriage. The innocent he's selected, however, has no plans to settle for anything less than marriage and will go to almost any length to secure him.  

 

This was a really good read for me. I happened upon this little jewel while book shopping, and I will admit that the cover is what got my attention. I looked at the reviews and I decided to give it a shot. I am so glad I did! I read for the entertainment of a good story, and this book kept me turning the pages.

Andrew Black, Earl of Townson, inherited his title from his father who squandered away all of his money, and racked up a lot of debt, leaving it all for Andrew. In the process of trying to clean up the mess his father left behind, one of his estates is repossessed. He is then offered a way to get his estate back, free and clear, so Andrew “makes a deal with the devil”, so to speak. His deal??? Ruin the reputation of one of the Banks sisters, and send the family packing back to America.

Upon meeting the Banks sisters, Brook, Liberty, and Madison… Andrew and Brook quickly develop an attraction, one that goes beyond the physical. Thus making Andrew more and more at odds with going through with the “deal”. Then Brook, finds herself in competition with another woman that wants to secure Andrew for herself, so she starts to feel like she might be willing to go to great lengths to secure Andrew first.
I don’t want to reveal too much about the story / plot, because what I enjoyed most was all the twists and turns.

I thought the characters were wonderfully written, Rose Gordon really brought out the personalities well, and their emotions and thoughts are always known to the reader.
Andrew Black comes from a scandalous past involving his parents. I liked how he was always at odds with himself over Brooke, and obviously he is a man that wants to do the right thing, but in trying to secure his own future, he was constantly warring with himself.
I liked Brooke a lot too, she is a woman who doesn’t want to conform to societies rules, and stays true to herself.

The secondary cast of characters were great as well. Gateway is that bastard you love to hate. And the sisters, Liberty…she tries to be the prim and proper one, doing everything by the book, she tries anyway. She is a little bit of a drama queen too. And Madison, who is wise beyond her years, I bet there’s a story behind that one.

I would consider this book “Leisure Historical Romance”. If you’re looking for a history lesson…look somewhere else. This was pure enjoyment!!

WELL DONE ROSE GORDON!! 
 

 

1 comment:

Patricia Eimer said...

Ooh Historical Light? Those are alway a fun read and you're right. The cover is intriguing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...