} -->

Friday 27 April 2012

Beneath the Surface by Joya Fields

She’s fighting to stay independent — he’s determined to protect her no matter what... 
Brooke Richards survived the earthquake that took her parents and most of her leg, but she needs time to regroup. A trip to Florida for a state-of-the-art prosthesis and to visit her best friend Linda seems ideal.

But the trip turns traumatic when Brooke witnesses Linda’s boat disintegrating in a fiery explosion.
Police Officer Garrett Ciavello believes the blast was intentionally set to hide something Linda found on a dive. When Brooke offers her expertise in underwater archaeology, Garrett accepts her help with the investigation. But since his fiancée’s death years ago, Garrett has become overprotective, and as they are drawn to each other, Garrett realizes he will risk anything to keep Brooke safe.
Brooke is fiercely independent. Garrett is fiercely protective. Will they heal each other’s wounds and find a killer... before it’s too late? 
 Grace's Review:

I'm a huge fan of those crime drama shows like CSI: Miami and Bones. This story was sort of like a mash up of those shows with romance! Beneath the Surface is a gripping romance-suspense novel that has an explosive beginning...literally!

When underwater archeologist Brooke Richards witnesses her friends' boat blow up, she unknowingly becomes a target of a killer. Detective Garrett Ciavello's search for his missing niece leads him to a metal box found on the ocean floor by Brooke's friends prior to the explosion. Together, Brooke and Garrett must rely on each other's expertise to retrieve the box and find answers.

I absolutely enjoyed this story! It kept me engaged and guessing, and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough! When all was revealed, and I found out the reasons for the crime(s), my jaw dropped! I did not think it was going to head in that direction at all. All I'm going to say is beware of deranged lunatic!

Brooke and Garrett had undeniable attraction towards one another, even when they tried to resist their feelings and concentrate only on the investigation. Since Brooke lost part of her leg in an earthquake, being independent has been a huge priority for her. This doesn't go well with Garrett's strong protective nature. Although they had to work through issues, it was obvious they cared so much for each other. Her disability was not even an issue for Garrett. One of my favorite parts is when Garrett tries to get Brooke to ride on his Harley. She's hesitant because of her prosthesis, but he ends up coaxing her on the bike anyway. Very cute! I got a little sad when I reached the last chapter. I wasn't ready to leave these two. Thank God for the sweet epilogue!
This is how I see Brooke and Garrett

Beneath the Surface is the second story that I have read from Joya Fields. Her novella, Love Delivered, is one of my favorites! Both stories showcase writing that is passionate with just enough spice all wrapped up like a small-hometown welcome hug. Her stories make you feel like you're coming home to something familiar. Even with all the mystery and suspense of Beneath the Surface, she manages to pull that comfortable hometown awareness for her readers. The scene at the family pizza place made me feel like I was part of the crowd. I'll take one of Mama Ciavello's specialties please!

Excerpt:
For the first time since the accident, she forgot about her leg. Forgot about all she’d lost and focused on the way he made her feel.
She knew she needed to stop him. She should find a way to resist the temptation to be with him. But for a few minutes, she could enjoy the taste of him, the feel of him, couldn’t she?
He dropped his hands to her waist and softened the kiss before trailing his warm lips down her neck. A weak cry slipped from her mouth. “Garrett,” she whispered.
She should stop this now before it got any more intense.
He lifted her chin and forced her to meet his brown eyes, smoky with desire. Heat spiraled to her middle and she caught a faint whiff of his sawdust scent.
I…I can walk you back to your own room before I head to mine.” His voice broke as he whispered.
She swallowed hard. She couldn’t do this right now with him. Too many obstacles stood in their way. But as she looked in his somber eyes, she realized none of those complications were bigger than her need for Garrett.
Let’s go to your room,” she said, her voice shaking. She moved her hands inside his shirt and ran them over his tight abs and chest. Heat soared through her body at the feel of him. “Together…”

3 comments:

Joya said...

Wow! What a wonderfully fantastic review. Grace,thanks so very much for reading Beneath the Surface and posting about it here on Sam, E. and R's blog.
I love, love, love the pics of how you see Garrett and Brooke! Yeah, baby!!!
Thanks again! :)

Elena said...

My Kinda Gal!

I love Bones! =)

You're review gave me the chills.LOL!! That's what I love about romantic suspense/mystery/thrillers =P

Great review! Love the image of Garrett Purrrrrr.......

GraceMyBookSnack said...

@ Joya-You're welcome! Really, your book was so much fun to read!!!

@ Elena-OMG Bones is the best! I love crime dramas!

@ Rhonda-thanks so much! I like where you arranged the pics. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...